Monday, November 17, 2008

Pecan Caramel Cheesecake

2 boxes real cheesecake dessert mix, Jell-O No Bake
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tblsp water
2 1/2 cups cold milk
1 cup butterscotch caramel sauce
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar

Line bottom of 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper. Mix the 2 packages of crust (from cheesecake dessert mix), the melted butter, sugar & water in a large bowl until well blended. Reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan (not up sides).

Combine the 2 packages of cheesecake filling & the cold milk in another large bowl. Beat for 3 minutes or until smooth & thick. Fold 1/2 cup of caramel sauce into cheesecake mixture. Pour mixture into crust lined springform pan. ***Mix reserved crumb mixture with 1/4 cup of caramel sauce, pecans & brown sugar. Sprinkle mixture on top of cheesecake***

Refrigerate cake at least ***5 hours*** or until set. Run warm knife around pan sides to loosen cake; remove pan sides. Transfer cake to serving platter & drizzle with remaining ***1/4 cup of caramel sauce.***

My Thoughts:

Regarding the bold & italics above - I am not sure how they expect you to sprinkle any mixture once that mixture has been combined with sticky gooey caramel sauce. So, I ended up having to spread it, if I could even call it that, carefully over the cake with my fingers. I then toasted more pecans & filled in any spots. This took a lot of patience & while this came out awesome, I won't do it the same next time. I recommend to warm up 1/4 cup of the caramel, drizzle it on top of the cheesecake mixture. Then, mix only the crumb mixture with the pecans & brown sugar & sprinkle that on top.

Then, right before serving, you can warm up the remaining 1/4 cup of caramel sauce & drizzle that over the cheesecake, letting it drip down sides.

As for the setting time, I set it for 5 hours but it needed more time. Ideally, make the day before. If not, set for at least 7 hours.