Salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Basil
Flour, for dusting
3/4 cup sherry or dry white wine
1 shallot, finely chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup grated Gruyere
Season scallops with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika & basil. I didn't measure these but just made sure each scallop had seasoning. Dust scallops with flour. Saute in a pan that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray & a small amount of olive oil. Cook scallops on both sides until browned. Remove scallops from pan. To the drippings in the pan, add sherry, shallots & mushrooms; cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat & add 3 tablespoons flour. Mix well & cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour shallots, mushrooms & liquid from scallops into flour mixture. Mix well. Stir scallops into sauce. (If too thick**, you can thin with clam juice or fish or chicken stock.)
Transfer to 4 individual baking dishes, top with cheese & broil for 1 minute, until browned. Serve with wild rice. As an appetizer, serve with slices of a fresh baguette.
My Thoughts:
The sauce was definitely too thick after stirring everything together so I added some chicken stock & had to mix it very well. I actually felt that it was too much flour for the butter so I increased the butter from 2 to 3 tblsp. Just roll with it & once everything is combined if it is too thick add some liquid. I also made this as one appetizer in a round casserole dish rather than individual dishes but either way would work. I use Gruyere, which is insanely expensive, but use Swiss if you'd like.