Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wonton Purses

(1) 12 oz pkg pork sausage
(2-3) green onions (scallions), diced (I use a bit more)
(1) tblspn soy sauce
(1) tblspn hoisin sauce
(1/2 tsp) minced garlic (I use 1 tsp)
(1) pkg wonton wrappers (freeze leftovers)
(1) small bowl of water

In bowl, combine all ingredients except wrappers. Mix well. Place a few wonton wrappers on clean surface & wet edges with water, using your fingers. Place a little more than a tspn of filling in center of wrapper. Gather edges of wrapper up & together to make a pouch. Filling does not have to be totally enclosed.

Place a collapsible metal steamer rack in a large wide pot. Fill pot with 1/2 inch of water. Spray steamer rack with nonstick spray. Bring water to a simmer. Working in batches, arrange dumplings on rack an inch apart. Cover pot with lid or foil & steam, about 8 minutes. Watch the water level & add more as needed. Serve with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce (my fav) or hot chinese style mustard.

My Thoughts:

If you don't have a steamer you can use a large shallow pan & place a cookie rack or toaster oven rack across the pan & then cover with tin foil. The recipe calls for 1 tbslpn but I find this to be too much. I use less so it makes more than 24 wrappers.

My favorite version of these is with the Jimmy Dean pork sausage but they will also work well with turkey sausage or ground chicken.