Monday, March 16, 2009

Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake

60 sponge-cake-type ladyfingers (from three 3-oz pkgs)
2 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 oz semisweet chocolate, grated

Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with ladyfingers. Line sides of pan with ladyfingers, standing ladyfingers side by side & rounded side out. Stir 3/4 cup whipping cream, unsweetened chocolate & 1/4 cup sugar in heavy small saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts & mixture is smooth. Remove saucepan from heat & cool to room temperature.

Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup powdered sugar, butter & 1 tsp vanilla in large bowl until blended. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture. Combine remaining 2 cups cream, 2 tblsp powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla & cinnamon in another large bowl. Using clean dry beaters, beat until firm peaks form. Fold half of whipped cream mixture into chocolate mixture.

Spread half of chocolate filling in ladyfinger-lined pan. Top with layer of ladyfingers, then remaining chocolate filling. Pipe or spread remaining whipped cream mixture over filling. Sprinkle with grated semisweet chocolate. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.) Remove pan sides from cake & serve.

{My Thoughts}

The original recipe doesn't state this but when laying the ladyfingers down, you will want to cut small pieces to fit where you need it. Once I line the sides of the pan with the ladyfingers I plug up any small holes. This time I was so efficient at it that I had no ladyfingers left. In the past I always did. Also, when whipping the whipped cream, be patient. It can take about 5 minutes. Once you see the peaks forming stop. If you continue to whip then it will curdle on you. If this happens, the taste is still fine but it just won't look as pretty.

Lastly, I do like to take this cake out of the fridge just 10 minutes prior to serving. But it does taste so good slightly chilled!!!!!