Friday, March 27, 2009

Steph's Shrimp Tostadas

About 10-12 shrimp uncooked, peeled & deveined
Fajita seasoning
Corn tortillas
Sea salt
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cilantro
1/2 small red onion, sliced 
3 tblsp Chipotle Bean Dip with Roasted Garlic
1/4 Avocado, diced
Hot sauce (optional)

Toss shrimp with Fajita seasoning. Set aside.

Pre-heat oven to 375. Place two corn tortillas on a baking sheet. Brush both with water. 
Sprinkle some sea salt, garlic powder, chili powder & cilantro on each. Bake for 12-15 minutes until crispy. Feel them at this point. If they need to be a bit crispier & browned put them 6 inches from your broiler for about 1 minute. Watch carefully. Set aside.

When the tortillas have a few minutes left to go, heat a pan on medium high heat sprayed with cooking spray. Saute red onion for a few minutes. Add shrimp & cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Place shrimp & onion in a bowl.

To assemble tostadas, spread 1/2 bean dip on each tostada. Top with about 5 shrimp with onions as well as the diced avocado. Pour a little hot sauce over each, if desired. 

{My Thoughts}

If you don't have fajita seasoning, no big. Just sprinkle the shrimp with some garlic powder, chili powder, cumin & cayenne pepper. I had the Chipotle Bean Dip in the house but I think I would rather a regular bean dip, as long as it has hardly any fat & it's not high in sodium. I am a big fan of Eat Smart's Tres Bean Dip which I will try next time. 

As for corn tortillas, read your labels. One package had them at 60 calories each. Another was only 25!!!!! And while I love flour tortillas, corn is much better for you.