Monday, September 14, 2009

Shore is Good Seafood Dip

2 tblsp butter
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 of a 10 3/4-ounce can cream of shrimp soup (discard top half & use bottom part of soup)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 pound freshly grated Parmesan
6-8 oz crabmeat, picked free of any broken shells
6-8 oz shrimp
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion & celery, saute for 2 minutes. In a bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, Parmesan, crabmeat, shrimp & pepper. Stir the sauteed vegetables into the seafood mixture & spoon this mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 11-inch casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with toast points or crackers. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes to set.

{Food for Thought}

I paid a little more for fresh crabmeat but find that it's worth it. I also used uncooked fresh shrimp so I sauteed it with the veggies until just cooked through.

Two additions to the recipe that I would do again: added some garlic powder to the veggie mixture as it was cooking. And once I had the mixture in a dish I sprinkled some Old Bay on top.

My one Publix didn't carry Cream of Shrimp Soup so I improvised by using 1/4 can of cream of onion & 1/4 can of a creamy tomato parmesan bisque. It was excellent this way but I think the bisque made the mixture thin out at the end of the baking time. So I had to actually add a cornstarch/water mixture & cooked it for 20 minutes longer.

If you use straight cream of shrimp or even cream of celery then you probably won't have this problem. In the event you still do, just make a mixture of cold water with 2 tblsp of cornstarch, then stir into the mixture a bit at a time.