1-2 cup all purpose flour
1-2 cup dried bread crumbs
Garlic powder
Dried basil
Salt & Pepper
4 eggs, whisked
Vegetable oil for frying
Grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Halve the zucchini crosswise, then cut each half into 4 quarters. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic, basil, salt & pepper & place in a dish for coating. Place your flour in another dish & then the eggs in another. Have your flour, eggs, & breadcrumbs in that order in an assembly line.
Coat the zucchini in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg thoroughly & then roll in the breadcrumbs. Place on wax paper & set aside. Repeat with remaining.
In a frying pan, pour oil to about 2 inches in depth, over medium heat. Fry until golden brown. 6-7 minutes was the magic number. I would not go over this at all so use your timer. Transfer sticks to a plate lined with paper towel. Immediately sprinkle with a little salt & parmesan cheese. Place on a nice platter & serve with some marinara sauce, if desired.
My Thoughts:
One of the BEST things about this recipe is you can bread the zucchini up to 3 hours prior & set aside at room temp. You can use more oil if you want to deep fry. I only used 1-2 inches & just turned over the zucchini after 3 minutes. I also did not measure the breadcrumbs along with the garlic powder & basil but I like to use quite a bit of both, just use as much as you love. Allow yourself a good 1/2 hour to bread 32 sticks. It takes time but very well worth the effort. I dedicate one hand for the flour & breadcrumbs & one hand for the egg. This way, my breadcrumbs never get clumpy.