Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Caramelized Onion Squares with Olives

1 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp butter
1 large onion, cut in half & thinly sliced
2 tblsp fresh thyme leaves or 2 tsp dried
1 8oz can Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 ½ cups (6oz) shredded Gruyere cheese
2 tblsp coarsely chopped kalamata olives
2 tblsp coarsely chopped roasted red bell peppers

In a 12 in skillet heat oil & butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion & thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is golden brown. Remove from heat.

Heat oven to 350. Roll dough into 12 x 10 in rectangle. Cut dough in half lengthwise. On ungreased cookie sheet place dough about 2 inches apart. Bake about 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool about 2 minutes.

Top each baked crust with cheese, onions, olives & peppers. Bake 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Using a pizza cutter cut each into 12 squares.

{My Thoughts}

I cut the dough width wise since it seemed easier. Use your judgment. I also think this would have been better with some garlic. How bad would that be?! And I cooked the onions longer in order to get them nice & brown & sweet. If you don't want to spend the money on Gruyere you could use it's sister Swiss. I am just a big fan of Gruyere so I don't mind paying for it.