Monday, November 2, 2009

Mississippi Mud Brownies

4 1 oz squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
2 1 oz squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 cups miniature marshmallows


Combine 4 squares chocolate & 1 cup butter in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring until chocolate & butter melt. Remove from heat.

Combine 2 cups of sugar, flour & salt. Add to melted chocolate mixture. Add eggs & pecans; stir until blended.

Spoon batter into a lightly greased & floured 13x9x2in pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Meanwhile, combine 2 squares chocolate, milk & 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until melted. Remove from heat. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed with an electric mixer until frosting is smooth. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over warm brownies. Quickly pour frosting over marshmallows, spreading evenly. Let cool & cut into squares.


{Food for Thought}

I recommend making these in advance, even a day, to allow them to set. We enjoyed them much better the next day after they had been refrigerated. Now, I don't make brownies much & I am not sure if you need to refrigerate these but if I was to make these again I would make them the day before, refrigerate, then let sit at room temperature before serving just to get some of the chill out. And if you don't refrigerate them I still recommend making at least 8 hours in advance.