Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken Arugula & Provolone Pressed Sammy

4 chicken breast halves boneless & skinless
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp rosemary or thyme
Salt & Pepper
4 pieces of crusty bread like Cuban, about 6” long
1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
2 cups arugula washed & dried
8 pieces prosciutto thinly sliced
8 pieces Provolone cheese thinly sliced

Brush chicken breasts lightly with oil. Sprinkle chicken with sage, rosemary, salt & pepper. Grill chicken breasts over charcoal grill or under broiler until firm to the touch. Transfer to plate & let cool slightly.

While chicken is cooking, cut each sandwich loaf without cutting all the way through. This will keep your sandwich from falling apart when it’s being pressed & warmed through. Hollow out the
loaf by removing just some of the bread inside.

Sprinkle bottom of each piece with vinaigrette. Divide arugula among each loaf. Layer 2 slices of prosciutto & 2 slices of Provolone on each. Slice each chicken breast half crosswise into diagonal slices & place on top of cheese.

Drizzle more vinaigrette over chicken. With either a Panini press, George Foreman grill or a stovetop pan, press the sandwich until warmed through & cheese is melted.

{Food for Thought}

I love Cuban bread from the grocery bakery for sandwiches like this. It's crusty & warms perfectly without becoming too hard. The arugula, prosciutto & herbs are a classic combo but you can also use spinach & any other type of herb you're fond of. I am not even a big Rosemary fan so I used Thyme instead. Prosciutto is an Italian type of ham you ask for at the deli. It's saltiness adds so much flavor to a sandwich like this.

You DON'T need a panini maker for these sandwiches. I don't have one nor do I want one. If you're using your stovetop you can lightly butter your pan & just use low heat with something heavy to press the sandwich down.