Friday, July 17, 2009

Wok Seared Chicken with Asparagus

1 tblsp toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
4 scallions, trimmed & cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tblsp minced fresh ginger
1 tblsp oyster-flavored sauce
1 tsp chile-garlic sauce
1/4 cup shelled salted pistachios, coarsely chopped

Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add asparagus; cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes, depending on how soft you like your asparagus. Add chicken; cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in scallions, ginger, oyster sauce & chile-garlic sauce; cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in pistachios & serve immediately. Makes 4 servings

{Food for Thought}

Regular sesame oil as opposed to toasted works just fine. I also didn't use fresh ginger so I sprinkled in a bit, no exact measurement. I served this over whole grain thin spaghetti & once I added the pasta to the hot pan I also added just a little pasta water to help bind it all together.